New Hanover Regional Medical Center’s Junior Volunteer Program provides a year-round program and is designed to offer teens a meaningful and valuable learning experience by volunteering in a thriving hospital. Teens will have the opportunity to meet healthcare professionals; learn about various healthcare careers; participate in educational sessions/tours and volunteer in many placement areas within the hospital. Combining hands-on experience through volunteer work and education, the program foster interests to healthcare leaders of tomorrow, while serving the community.
Things to know when applying to the Junior Volunteer Program:
- NHRMC Volunteer Services does not accept applications for court ordered community service hours. If you are interested in a job shadowing opportunity, senior project mentor or an internship, please contact the Human Resources Department at (910) 667-7049.
- Six-month service commitment is required with a total of fifty volunteer hours.
- Complete the application and submit other required forms within five (5) days of submitting the application.
- Complete an interview or group interviews with the Volunteer Coordinator and staff members
- Agree to a Criminal Background Report (16 years and older)
- Assignment areas, schedules and training dates will be discussed and confirmed at the interview.
- Attend a mandatory orientation class. (Orientations are held in January, April, and October)
- Complete two or more specific training sessions by assignment areas with volunteers or staff members.
- Attend three to four educational sessions (summer time only)
- Volunteers are scheduled weekly or bi-weekly and one to two Saturdays per month. Schedules consist of three to four hours per shift for an entire semester (three-four month increments)
- Summer schedules are on a weekly basis for eight weeks and one to two Saturday’s per month.
- Applications are only accepted three times a year and processing time for applications and interviews can take up to 3 to 5 weeks.
When to Apply
Please note: Application submission does not guarantee placement. Submitted applications are reviewed by the Volunteer Coordinator. Once all items are completed, an interview will be scheduled. Students selected to participate will also be required to attend a mandatory orientation class. Applications will open within the first business day of each month listed below and close within one to three business days.
SUMMER SESSION – May/June/July/August
Online application will open in April. The link will close once the number of applications received meets the current needs.
FALL SESSION – September/October/November/December
Online application will open in September. The link will close once the number of applications received meets the current needs.
SPRING SESSION – January/March/April/May
Online application will open in January. The link will close once the number of applications received meets the current needs.
Junior Volunteer Application Requirements
If you are a student 14 to 18 years old and have completed the eighth grade, you are invited to apply for the Junior Volunteer program. To get started:
- Complete the online Junior Volunteer application
- Complete the online Orientation
- Complete the Junior Volunteer Position Description
- Complete the Parent/Guardian Authorization and Photo Consent Form (optional)
- Complete and agree to a Criminal Background Report 16 years and older
- Provide a copy of your current Annual Flu Record
- Provide a copy of your current Immunization Records. The hospital requires current immunizations for all Junior/College volunteers. This includes 2 MMR, 1 TDAP and 2 Varicella Titer. Hepatitis B vaccinations are recommended for direct patient care areas.
- The Tuberculosis screening form will also be required prior to the training dates and can be completed after the interview appointment.
- Provide a copy of the Annual Flu Vaccine or complete the permission form to receive if for free after an interview from the NHRMC Employee Health Clinic. (Seasonal Fall/Winter months only)
All of the above requirements and forms must be submitted as part of the application process and prior to scheduling the interview appointment.
You can fax the forms to the Volunteer Office at 910.343.7347. Once you complete all requirements, communication will be done via email, so check your email on a regular basis.
If you have additional questions, contact the Volunteer Services Office at 910.667.7784.
Thank you for your interest in the Junior Volunteer Program.
If you are a student who is 14 to 18 years old and have completed eighth grade, you are invited to apply for the Pender Memorial Hospital junior volunteer program. To get started:
- Complete the PMH online application
- Complete the Junior Volunteer Position Description and Junior Volunteer Agreement Form
- Review, print and sign the Parent/Guardian Authorization and Release Form
- Once you apply, all communication will be done via email, so please check your email regularly
- Once you complete the application steps, the Volunteer Coordinator will call you to schedule an appointment to discuss interests and schedules
- Bring a calendar and be prepared to select a schedule during your interview
For more information about volunteering at Pender view the Pender Volunteer Instructions section below or call (910) 259.5451 ext. 295, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the safety and well-being of patients, families, staff and volunteers you must meet certain health requirements before volunteering including completing a one-step TB/PPD Screening and an Annual Influenza Vaccine (September-April). Please fill have your parent fill out and sign the Parent/Guardian Annual Flu Vaccine Authorization Form.
Training and Schedules
NHRMC volunteers must attend an orientation session either in September, December or April. PMH orientation will be held on a Saturday in April or May. Junior volunteers must complete volunteer training and department specific training. You must submit your volunteer schedules on a weekly or monthly basis for approval.