Attention: Thank you for your interest in volunteering with NHRMC. The volunteer services programs have been suspended due to COVID19. We are not processing applications at this time. If you would like to help in another way, please consider donating to the Emergency Response Fund through NHRMC Foundation.
The New Hanover Regional Medical Center College Volunteer Program is structured to provide college students at all levels of education an opportunity to gain valuable experience in a professional healthcare setting. It is a great program for students to contribute to the community, see the daily operations of a thriving hospital and learn about various healthcare fields. College volunteers can help provide excellent customer service and assistance to the patients, families and staff members in a variety of assignment areas. Combining hands-on experience through volunteering and education, the program fosters healthcare leaders of tomorrow while serving the community.
Things to know when applying to the College Volunteer Program
- NHRMC Volunteer Services does not accept applications for court ordered community service hours.
- Job shadowing, community project mentors, an internship or practicum is coordinated with the Human Resources/Education Department. The contact number is (910) 667-7049.
- Applicants should have an interest in healthcare careers.
- Six-month service commitment is required with a total of fifty volunteer hours.
- Applications are only accepted three times a year and the processing time for applications and interviews can take up to 3 to 5 weeks. Complete the application and submit all required forms.
- Provide a signed Character Reference Letter.
- Agree to a Criminal Background Check.
- Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Placement areas, schedules and training dates will be discussed and confirmed at the interview.
- Year round schedules are on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Schedules consist of three to four hours per shift for an entire semester (three-four month increments).
- Summer schedules are on a weekly basis for eight -ten weeks.
- Complete two or more specific training sessions in assignment areas with volunteers or staff members.
- Participate in three Education sessions as part of the summer program.
When to Apply
Application submission does not guarantee placement. Submitted applications and other requirements are reviewed by the Volunteer Coordinator. Once all items are completed, an interview will be scheduled. The online applications will open within the first five business days for the months listed below.
Students should not apply to the Adult program when the College application process is closed.
SUMMER SESSION – May/June/July/August
Online application opens in May. The link will close once the number of applications received meets the current needs.
FALL SESSION – September/October/November/December
Online application opens in August. The link will close once the number of applications received meets the current needs.
SPRING SESSION – Jan/Feb/March/April
Online application opens in January. The link will close once the number of applications received meets the current needs.
College Volunteer Application Requirements
If you are a student currently enrolled in a part-time or full-time accredited college program and you have an interest in a healthcare career and can make the volunteer program requirements, you are welcome to apply to the College Volunteer program. To get started:
- Complete the online College Volunteer application
- Complete the online Orientation
- Provide a signed character reference letter
- Provide a copy of your current Immunization Records. The hospital requires current immunizations for all College volunteers. This includes 2 MMR, 1 TDAP and 2 Varicella Titer. The Hepatitis B vaccinations are recommended for direct patient care areas.
- Provide a copy of a TB skin test or complete a TB skin test (provided for free at NHRMC Employee Health & Clinic after an interview appointment)
- Provide a copy of your current Flu Record
All the above requirements and forms must be submitted as part of the application process within five days of your application and prior to scheduling the interview appointment. Applications are deleted after thirty days.
Completed items can be sent via FAX to the Volunteer Office at (910) 667-7347 or scanned as attachments to email@example.com. Once students complete all of these requirements, communication will be via email, so check your email on a regular basis.
If you have additional questions, contact the Volunteer Services Office at (910) 667-7784.