Problems affecting your urologic system can start in your bladder, kidneys or prostate. Specialists at New Hanover Regional Medical Center are experts at diagnosing the cause of your symptoms and developing a treatment plan that’s right for you.
Conditions affecting the urologic system include:
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Enlarged prostate
- Prostate cancer
- Impotence or erectile dysfunction
- Kidney stones
- Cancer of the bladder or kidneys
Screenings & Diagnostics
Urologists diagnose conditions using procedures that can generally be done in their office. However, some may be done at NHRMC or one of its radiology locations.
Screening and diagnostic procedures include:
- Cystoscopy – to assess the size of the prostate and diagnose the cause of bladder symptoms
- Urodynamic evaluation - to check bladder sensation and stability in women and evaluate urine flow in men
- Ultrasound and prostate biopsy – an ultrasound is used to identify suspicious areas of the prostate and then remove a sample for further testing
When treating conditions of the urinary tract, your physician will choose the least invasive methods first. This could involve medications or procedures that can be done in their offices.
New Hanover Regional Medical Center also offers surgical procedures at the Surgical Pavilion. Here you’ll find advanced surgical options and a comfortable environment for you and your loved ones.
- Kidney procedures
- Bladder cancer procedures
- Prostate procedures