From the moment you arrive at NHRMC, we’re focused on providing you excellent treatment so you can start on the road to recovery. Our Stroke Program includes a recovery process that begins as soon as possible following stroke.
Our team works with you and your family every step of the way, explaining the recovery and rehabilitation process and answering any questions you may have. We want you and your loved ones to participate as an integral part of your care team.
Our specially trained stroke physicians, nurses and other members of your healthcare team will develop a recovery plan specific to your needs. Our goal is to help you regain as much function as possible after your stroke.
Your stroke care team includes:
- Dedicated nurses, specially trained in stroke care
- Pharmacists review, deliver and educate on medications
- Physical therapists to help you regain mobility and provide assistive devices, such as braces, to help you regain independence
- Speech and language therapists to help you with cognition, overcoming swallowing problems and speech difficulties
- Occupational therapists to teach you new ways to approach daily living functions following stroke
- Quality outcomes health professionals who constantly assess protocols and outcomes to ensure you receive the best possible care
We offer rehabilitation services, including an extensive range of neurological rehabilitation services to help you regain skills affected by the stroke and return home with maximum independence. Therapy and rehabilitation are offered at multiple locations, including the New Hanover Regional Medical Center Rehabilitation Hospital.