New Hanover Regional Medical Center Rehabilitation Hospital is a place where patients make tremendous strides on their road to recovery. This 60-bed inpatient rehabilitation hospital provides patients with treatment and support in a spacious and welcoming environment.
Unique Setting for Practicing Skills
We have a 3,000 square foot therapy gym with specialized equipment for exercising needed muscles. But it’s not just weights and treadmills that will help you succeed.
We provide a place for you to practice getting in and out of cars, walking on sand, and shopping in a grocery store. Our Easy Street® section of the gym helps prepare you for different real world settings and challenges.
NHRMC Rehabilitation Hospital is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and has received specialty credentials for stroke, brain injury and amputee rehabilitation. NHRMC Rehabilitation Hospital is also accredited by The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
To be considered for admission to the Rehabilitation Hospital, you must:
- Require 24-hour rehabilitation nursing, daily oversight of the plan of care by a rehabilitation physician, and intense therapy services
- Be able to actively participate in intense therapy services, which means at least two disciplines of therapy for at least three hours per day for five out of seven days
- Have a suitable plan for discharge
- Be at least 13 years old
Admissions decisions are made by the medical director of the NHRMC Rehabilitation Hospital.
Before being discharged from the NHRMC Rehabilitation Hospital the patient, family/caregiver, and rehabilitation team will work together to meet certain milestones.
Discharge may be considered when:
- You no longer require inpatient hospital care and could receive any additional services at a less intensive level of care
- You no longer require at least two kinds of rehabilitation therapy
- You no longer require three hours of therapy a day
- You cannot tolerate three hours of therapy a day
You have the right to request discharge at any time. The average length of stay for patients at the Rehabilitation Hospital is about two weeks.
When you are a patient at NHRMC Rehabilitation Hospital you may receive a variety of therapies from a large team of specialists. Your care is directed by physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians.
Services available are:
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Rehabilitation nursing
- Case management to help with planning for discharge and coordinating your care with your insurance company
- Recreation therapy
- Social work and rehabilitation counseling for mental and emotional support
- Spiritual care
- Respiratory therapy
Family and caregivers are encouraged to actively participate in the patient’s rehabilitation program. This participation helps you all to be well prepared for discharge from the hospital.
Visitors are also important and welcome members of our patients’ support teams. We encourage visitors to come and encourage patients on their hard work.
We have special visiting hours at the Rehabilitation Hospital to ensure these social visits come at times when patients are free and not resting or taking part in therapy.