Lung Cancer Screening
If you have a physician referral, you can schedule an appointment at a location convenient to you.
If you smoke cigarettes or are a former smoker, you may need to be screened for lung cancer. Cancer screenings are extremely vital to detect cancer in the early stages when it is most treatable. The New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) network offers this important screening.
Low-Dose CT Screening
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends low-dose computed tomography (CT) screening for lung cancer. This technology is available at several NHRMC locations, including:
- NHRMC Orthopedic Hospital
- NHRMC Health & Diagnostics Brunswick Forest
- NHRMC Health & Diagnostics Medical Mall
- NHRMC Health & Diagnostics Military Cutoff
- NHRMC Health & Diagnostics North
- New Hanover Medical Group Myrtle Grove
- New Hanover Medical Group Ogden
- Pender Memorial Hospital
CT scanning uses X-ray and computers to produce detailed images of your lungs and can detect smaller tumors than a standard X-ray. CT for lung cancer screening is quick and painless, and the radiation dose is less than an X-ray.
Who Should Be Screened
Consider a lung screen if you:
- Are between the ages of 55 and 77
- Are a current smoker or have quit in the last 15 years
- Have smoked at least 30 pack-years*
* Number of packs per day x number of years. For example, 1 pack per day for 30 years or 2 packs per day for 15 years.
Quitting smoking is one of the best steps you can take to improve your health. To find out more about NHRMC's smoking cessation program, call 910.667.8297.
Medicare provides coverage for patients who meet the criteria above and are considered high-risk.
Some insurance companies pay for lung screenings. Contact your insurer for details.
NHRMC Lung Program
If you are diagnosed with lung cancer, you can receive coordinated care and treatment through New Hanover Regional Medical Center's Lung Program. Here, we bring together the specialists you need as well as a program navigator to help you every step of the way.