Hand & Wrist Treatment
Ready to take the next step? Our Orthopedic Patient Navigator is ready to answer your questions at:
You use your hands for almost everything you do. Hand or wrist pain complicates life and makes even the simplest of tasks difficult. Fortunately, both noninvasive and surgical therapies are available.
Orthopedic physicians who specialize in the intricate structure of hands and wrists will assess and plan treatment to restore your functioning. This may include therapy with New Hanover Regional Medical Center Outpatient Rehabilitation and/or surgery at New Hanover Regional Medical Center Orthopedic Hospital.
Orthopedic specialists consider these nonsurgical approaches to hand and wrist pain first:
- Over-the-counter or prescription medication - to relieve pain and inflammation
- Occupational therapy
- Wrist splints
- Workplace/ergonomic changes such as seating and equipment use
You may want to consider surgical options when noninvasive measures have not relieved your pain and restored your function.
Surgical treatment of hand and wrist pain include:
- Carpal tunnel release
- Distal joint fusion
- Joint replacement for arthritis
- Operative fixation of finger or wrist fractures
- Proximal joint replacement
- Removal of ganglion cysts (masses)
- Repair of tendon lacerations
- Wrist arthroscopy for cartilage tears