Am I a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
If you have made the decision to explore weight-loss surgery at New Hanover Regional Medical Center, you realize how extra weight is affecting your health and enjoyment of life. Congratulations on taking this first step toward change.
Bariatric surgery is a significant procedure that can permanently alter your anatomy and should be considered with seriousness - on your part and ours. We agree to move forward with weight-loss surgery only when we are confident it is the best choice for you, and you are ready to take the steps necessary for success, including months of preparation.
Am I Ready to Start?
Find out if bariatric surgery is right for you.
Make the Commitment to Lose Weight
Weight-loss surgery is not magic or a quick fix. Success requires a lifelong commitment to proper diet and exercise. Group support is highly recommended to help you share and understand the emotions you will experience.
The NHRMC Bariatric Surgery team is eager to help you. We carefully and thoroughly screen you to make sure this is the right decision for you at the right time. Our commitment to this process has been instrumental in our history of success.
See If You Qualify for Bariatric Surgery
You may be a candidate for weight-loss surgery if you:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) higher than 40, which is considered morbidly obese, or have a BMI between 35 and 40 along with a serious weight-related medical issue such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, or severe sleep apnea
- Are between the ages of 18 and 70
- Do not use tobacco or abuse drugs
- Have made prior nonsurgical attempts at weight loss and have not had a prior gastric surgery
- Are able to understand the basics of how bariatric surgery results in weight loss
- Are willing and able to comply with all postoperative diet and follow-up recommendations
- Do not have a disqualifying psychological, emotional, or medical condition
Take the Next Steps
Call our bariatric surgery program coordinator with any questions and to schedule a consultation. We cannot wait to meet you and help get you on the road to better health. Call 910-667-7170.