Nurse Refresher Program
For more information, call either
Lynda Chambers 910-667-9298
Tandra Miller 910-667-9338
NC AHEC’s nurse refresher course is online and self-paced so that you can balance work, life, and your career.
The NC AHEC RN Refresher Program consists of a 24-module, self-paced, medical-surgical nursing review and a 160-hour clinical practicum. This program is a collaborative effort of the NC AHEC Program, the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Nursing, and The William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education. Upon successful completion of both the didactic and clinical portion of the course, participants are eligible to apply for reinstatement of their nursing licenses through the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
Eligible participants must be nurses who reside in Brunswick, Columbus, Duplin, New Hanover, or Pender counties who hold or previously held a nursing license in the state of North Carolina. The program is for nurses with lapsed or inactive license for five years or more or for nurses who have not practiced nursing in five or more years.
- Didactic portion must be completed before clinical portion can be started
- Consists of 160 hours working directly with a clinical preceptor
- The preceptor must be present whenever the student is delivering nursing care
- A clinical checklist is used as a guide for experiences during the practicum
- Students must carry their own malpractice insurance
- Vacinations and health screenings must be complete
- Many different clinical agencies are used for the clinical practicum including New Hanover Regional Medical Center, NHRMC Orthopedic Hospital, Pender Memorial Hospital, Dosher Memorial Hospital, Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center, and the Davis Community