Our surgical team includes critical care surgeons who care for patients who arrive to the Emergency Department at New Hanover Regional Medical Center, surgical oncologists, and surgeons who specialize in abdominal wall and gastrointestinal surgical procedures.
General, Minimally Invasive & Robotic Surgery
We offer expert open and minimally invasive treatment options for many surgical conditions. We also perform surgery using the da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System.
- Total and partial gastrectomy
- Procedures of the intestine and colon
- Simple and complex hernia repair
- Anti-reflux surgery (ie Nissen fundoplication)
- Repair of paraesophageal hernia
- Heller myotomy (for achalasia)
- Radical and Partial Nephrectomy
Our fellowship trained surgical oncologists assist with the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Our surgical oncology team will work closely with you, your oncologist, your primary care physician and other members of your medical team to plan your procedure and follow-up care.
We perform open and minimally invasive procedures that include:
Liver resections and ablative procedures for primary and metastatic disease
- Pancreatic and complex biliary procedures
- Colorectal surgery
- Melanoma surgery
- Sarcoma resection
- Mastectomy and lumpectomy
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Regional lymph node dissection
- Head and neck surgery
- Esophageal surgery
Acute Care Surgery
Our surgical team works with the emergency department at New Hanover Regional Medical Center to help patients who need urgent surgical care.
NHRMC is a Level II Trauma Center, collaborating with orthopedic, neurosurgery and critical care specialists. Members of our team are fellowship trained in surgical critical care and, in addition to their general surgery practice, take care of our sickest patients in the intensive care unit.
Minimally invasive bariatric surgery, or weight loss surgery, can be an extremely effective tool in the treatment of obesity and its associated medical conditions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis, etc.) Borden Hooks, III, MD has fellowship training in the latest minimally invasive bariatric surgery procedures, including:
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric banding
Surgery itself is only one step to the ultimate goal. The best outcome is to achieve a lasting healthy lifestyle through traditional techniques of diet and exercise. This is why we have created a team including nutritionists, psychologists, primary care physicians and our staff. Together, the team guides patients through the process before and after surgery, providing the knowledge and support needed for a lifetime of success.
Weight loss surgery is a life changing commitment and finding what technique is best for you is important. If you are interested in bariatric surgery, call us and attend our monthly support group to learn more.
Colon and Rectal Surgery
Our fellowship trained surgeons assist with the diagnosis and treatment of a variety of colon and rectal conditions. We also perform surgery using the da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System.
- Hemorrhoidectomy and hemorrhoid banding
- Management of thrombosed hemorroid
- Treatment of anal abscess and fistula
- Colonoscopy, proctoscopy and anoscopy
- Laparoscopic and robotic colectomies for benign and malignant colorectal conditions
- Rectal prolapse repair
- Anal cancer screening, prevention, and surveillance
- Pilonidal surgery
- Lateral internal sphincterotomy for anal fissure
- Transanal minimally invasive surgery (TAMIS)
- Sacral nerve stimulation for fecal incontinence