Visiting a Patient
Send an E-Card to a Patient
New Hanover Regional Medical Center offers you a way to stay in touch with loved ones in the hospital even if you can't be there to visit. You can send a personal e-greeting to patients in any of our hospitals.
Send an E-Card
Whether you are a patient or a visitor, we want to make your experience with Novant Health outstanding. You are entering an environment where you and your well-being are always at the forefront of our staff’s priorities.
All hospital visitors must:
- Be at least 2 years old
- Be healthy
- Pass a COVID-19 screening.
- Properly wear a mask at all times.
If a patient has COVID-19 or may have been exposed, he or she may have a visit by community clergy at the patient or family’s request.
Visitors may stay overnight in some cases. Patients under the age of 18 may have both parents/guardians spend the night.
- Up to two visitors as space allows. Visitors may switch out unless a patient has COVID or is suspected of having COVID. If the ED waiting room is full, visitors must wait outside until the patient is in a room, unless the patient has special needs and requires support from a visitor while in the waiting room.
- As many visitors as can safely fit in the patient's room. Visitors may switch out.
Critical Care and NICU
- Allowed two visitors at a time. Switching out is permitted.
- Two parents/guardians plus two siblings (may switch out with others at parent/guardian discretion)
Women's (Labor and Delivery and Mother/Baby Patients)
- Allowed two support persons (age 12 or older) at a time and switching out is permitted. These patients may also have a certified doula in addition to the one support person.
Behavioral Health Hospital is not allowing visitors at this time.
- Adults -- one visitor at a time. Pediatrics -- two visitors at a time.
Ambulatory Surgery Centers/Imaging
- Visitors must be age 16 or older. One visitor is allowed for adult patients, and two parents/guardians are allowed for pediatric patients.
Doctor's Offices and Clinics
- One visitor per adult patient.
- Both parents/guardians may join pediatric patients.
- Children of all ages are permitted to accompany adults to appointments if childcare is not available.
Exceptions may continue to be granted in special circumstances, such as end-of-life care.
This guidance remains in place to protect our patients, team members and visitors and to reduce the likelihood for anyone to encounter or inadvertently spread COVID-19 in our facilities. As a reminder, all visitors must be 2 or older, healthy, pass COVID-19 screening questions and wear a mask while onsite.
We encourage friends and family members of our patients to consider using phone calls or video chats to communicate with their loved ones. We also encourage patients to ask their health care provider for specific guidance for their area before inviting visitors to our facilities.