Need Help With Medical Records?
For information on obtaining medical records, call 910-667-7090.
If you would like to access your medical records or have them sent to another medical facility, you must complete an Authorization for Release of Medical Information form. Forms may be easily obtained by calling:
- NHRMC or NHRMC Orthopedic Hospital: 910-667-7090
- Pender Memorial Hospital: 910-259-5451, ext. 239
Requesting a Copy of Your Medical Record
Patients, or their personal representatives should follow these instructions for obtaining copies of their medical records.
- Complete the following before we can allow inspection or provide a copy of a patient's records to anyone, including the patient or his/her representative:
- Provide a copy of photo ID such as valid driver’s license, military ID or state-issued ID.
- In certain cases a patient's physician may also be required to approve a request.
Instructions For Completing the Form
An instruction sheet is available to ensure the authorization is completed appropriately.
Many patients may request their entire medical record, however, generally the summary information in documents such as Discharge Summaries, Operative Reports, and History & Physicals contain the information that most people are seeking.
- Please indicate the dates of treatment for which you are requesting information.
- Please indicate the type of records you need and initial requests for information regarding AIDS/HIV, Psychiatric Care, or Alcohol/Drug Abuse.
Please note, your medical records do not contain Billing Statements, our Patient Financial Services department maintains that information. You can reach them by calling 910-667-7050.
If you are not sure what information you need from your records, please call 910-667-7090.
Requesting Radiology Images
Radiology images are not a part of your medical record. Your official records contain the reports that interpret those images. To request copies of images on disc, please provide 24 hours notice by calling 910-667-7070.
Fees for Medical Records
There may be a reproduction charge for creating a copy of your records. Call the Release of Information Office at 910-667-7090 for information of fee schedules.
All fees will be waived if you are requesting your records be sent directly to another medical facility or office.
Submitting Your Request
Once the Authorization form has been completed, you can submit it:
|New Hanover Regional Medical Center
||Pender Memorial Hospital
Medical Records Department
New Hanover Regional Medical Center Business Center
3151 S. 17th Street
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m., except Holidays
Attn: Medical Records, Release of Information
New Hanover Regional Medical Center
PO Box 9000
Wilmington, NC 28402-9000
For medical records from before
May 2015, please mail
your request to:
ATTN: Medical Records, Release of Information
Pender Memorial Hospital
507 E. Fremont Street
Burgaw, NC 28425
Obtaining Your Records
You may inspect/view records at the Health Information Management (Medical Records) Department at NHRMC. Please allow five to 15 working days for your request to be processed.
Picking Up Your Records
- If you request pick-up, you will be notified when your records are ready.
- Please bring a photo ID when you come to inspect or pick up your records.
If your are inspecting or picking up records for someone else:
- Bring an original signed authorization letter from the requester and a photo ID.
If you are an authorized legal representative or Administrator of an Estate:
- Bring the appropriate legal documents for the request to be processed.