Over the course of the weekend, our NHRMC employees went above and beyond to Lead Our Community to Outstanding Health. From running a 5K to disposing over 6,000 pounds of unused medications, our NHRMC family did it all! Here are some of the ways NHRMC employees made a positive impact on our community this weekend:
SECU Family House Fall Festival and Trunk or Treat
- The SECU Family House held its 2nd Annual Fall Festival & Trunk or Treat on Sunday, October 27. This event was a safe alternative to neighborhood trick or treating. Dozens of kids and their families enjoyed food trucks, inflatables, arts & crafts, tours of police, fire, & EMS vehicles, and raffle prizes. Photos located here.
Med Take-Back Event
- In an effort to reduce the risk of misuse or accidental exposure to medications, including opioids and other prescriptions, New Hanover Regional Medical Center held a free medication disposal event on October 26. This Medication Disposal event broke NHRMC records by collecting 6,000 pounds of unneeded/expired medicines and over 43,000 sharps. In addition, more than $55,000 worth of medications could be donated to Cape Fear Clinic. The event was recognized by N.C. Attorney General Josh Stein, who visited NHRMC on Thursday for a kickoff event. Photos located here.
Stuff a Truck
- Operation Stuff a Truck was held Sunday, October 27, at Brunswick Forest to collect and send medical and necessary living supplies to an extended care facility in the Bahamas. Attendees had the chance to make a difference in the lives of those affected by Hurricane Dorian, and also got to learn more about how AirLink/VitaLink impacts our community. Photos located here
. If you missed your opportunity to donate, there’s still time – D’xtira Brown
shared details on Yammer of an event happening this Saturday.
NHRMC Day at the Miracle League of Wilmington
- October 26 was NHRMC day at the Miracle League of Wilmington, where our employees led our community to outstanding health by eliminating the barriers to health and wellness through adapted sports, recreation, and fitness! Photos located here
Dancin’ in the Park
- This free event series was an outdoor workout that was open to all ages and all fitness levels. Fitness instructors from clubs across the Wilmington area lead participants through Zumba, hip-hop, line dancing, and so much more. October 26 was the final Dancin’ in the Park event for 2019. Keep your eyes peeled for Dancin’ in the Park 2020!
Good for You 5K
- The Good for You 5K took place on October 27 and was a corporate event for New Hanover Regional Medical Center employees and their families to promote healthy living. Altogether, 81 runners and walkers completed the course on a rainy morning. The Adult Inpatient Surgery Unit won the award for the largest team at this fall's event. This year's overall winners were Joseph Miraya at 19:00 and Erin Escarsega at 22:36. Photos located here.
- The Heart Walk is the American Heart Association's premiere event for raising funds to save lives from this country's No. 1 and No. 5 killers - heart disease and stroke. The Cape Fear Heart Walk took place on October 26, and many of our NHRMC employees donated their time to have fun, get inspired and support a meaningful cause. Photos located here.
More photos for these events can be found on Yammer!