Here are some opportunities in September to volunteer or contribute to the community through NHRMC Mission Corps:
- Contribute to Child Development Center, which serves intellectually and physically disabled children under age 5. Look for a list of needs coming soon.
- Donate needed items for schools (all items may be sent to Scott Whisnant’s office in the Business Annex):
- Box Tops (please send to Scott through InterOffice mail)
- Facial tissue and hand sanitizer
- Books your children no longer need
- Clothes (that your children would still wear if they fit)
- Athletic equipment in good shape
- Musical instruments in good shape
- Volunteer at any of our high-poverty schools. We are specifically serving Snipes and Alderman elementary schools, Virgo Middle School, and Dorothy B. Johnson Pre-K, and we will consider expanding to Anderson Elementary School (for those of you living in the Monkey Junction end of the county) and re-engaging with Freeman Elementary School.
* “Volunteer” can range from adopting classrooms to occasionally helping with special events.
- Join us on Saturdays for Dancin’ in the Park. This free event series brings a fun, outdoor workout that is open to all ages and all fitness levels.
- Saturdays, September 7 through September 28, Portia Hines Park AND Greenfield Lake Tennis Courts, 10:30 a.m. to noon.
- Come enjoy the music while getting your Saturday off to a healthy start with your neighbors and friends from throughout the community.
- Volunteer at the Rock-N-Run 0.5K (yes 0.5K!) that raises money for the Tammy Lynn Center, which helps local children and adults with developmental disabilities. The event will take place 6:30-8:30 p.m. October 4 at Olsen Park. Volunteers are needed for setting up, directing traffic, registering and handing out medals to participants. You can sign up to volunteer at https://www.05kwilmington.org/