Preparing for Your Child's Surgery
For more information or questions about making appointments, call (910) 662-8934.
If your physician determines your child has a surgical need, he or she will refer you to the expert team at NHRMC Physician Group-Pediatric Surgery.
Scheduling an Appointment
All appointments for NHRMC Physician Group - Pediatric Surgery require a physician referral.
Our providers also see patients for follow-up services at Nunnelee Pediatric Specialty Clinics.
Your Child's Surgery
When your child needs surgery, our pediatric surgical team puts your child's needs first with a family-friendly approach to care. We get to know your child and are attentive to their individual needs - whether it's dressing in scrubs with your child's favorite character or welcoming them to take part in themed events on the pediatric unit. We know when your child is comfortable, parents and loved ones are comfortable, too.
Our team is committed to responding to your needs and concerns. Here's what you need to know about your stay:
- We encourage visitors as an important part of the healing process. In general, our visiting hours end at 9 p.m. Learn about our visitation guidelines for the Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital
- You may want to bring any supplies needed for your child including diapers, wipes, formula, diaper cream, soap and a variety of toiletries. If at any time you need more supplies or if there is something you forgot, please do not hesitate to ask a staff member for help.
- Your child's room and has a number of features that let you adjust your environment for your comfort. A full bathroom is available for your child’s and family’s use.
- In addition to a television with children’s channels, your child’s room has a PlayStation game console hooked to the TV. This allows your child to watch movies and play games that are preloaded onto the system.
- We welcome you to stay with your child overnight if you would like. Each room has a pull-out couch that serves as a bed, and we provide extra linens in the closet by the sink for parents staying the night.
- Our Child Life programs can help reduce the stress of being in the hospital through the use of music therapy, painting, games and activities. A music therapist/child life specialist will visit your room daily from Monday through Friday to discuss services available for your child.
- When your child is feeling up to it, we also have a playroom for patients on the Peds/PICU floor with a number of toys and activities to provide outlets for self-expression and keep your child entertained.
Our goal is to provide excellent care while you are with us and help you prepare for your return home. Your team will give you a lot of information. You might not be able to remember it all so please ask questions as often as you need to understand and let us know about your concerns.