Cyrus Kotwall, MD and Michelle Fillion, MD are fellowship trained surgical oncologists who assist with the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Our surgical oncology team will work closely with you, your oncologist, your primary care physician and other members of your medical team to plan your procedure and follow-up care.
We perform open and minimally invasive procedures that include:
- Liver resections and ablative procedures for primary and metastatic disease
- Pancreatic and complex biliary procedures
- Colorectal surgery
- Melanoma surgery
- Sarcoma resection
- Mastectomy and lumpectomy
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Regional lymph node dissection
- Head and neck surgery
- Esophageal surgery
Our surgical team works with the emergency department at New Hanover Regional Medical Center to help patients who need urgent surgical care.
- Thomas Clancy, MD, is the medical director of the NHRMC Level II Trauma Center, collaborating with orthopedic, neurosurgery and critical care specialists. He is also the program director for the NHRMC Surgery Residency Training Program.
- Elizabeth Acquista, MD and William Powers, IV, MD are fellowship trained in surgical critical care and, in addition to their general surgery practice, take care of our sickest patients in the intensive care unit.
Minimally invasive bariatric surgery, or weight loss surgery, can be an extremely effective tool in the treatment of obesity and its associated medical conditions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis, etc.) Borden Hooks, III, MD has fellowship training in the latest minimally invasive bariatric surgery procedures, including:
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric banding
Surgery itself is only one step to the ultimate goal. The best outcome is to achieve a lasting healthy lifestyle through traditional techniques of diet and exercise. This is why we have created a team including nutritionists, psychologists, primary care physicians and our staff. Together, the team guides patients through the process before and after surgery, providing the knowledge and support needed for a lifetime of success.
Weight loss surgery is a life changing commitment and finding what technique is best for you is important. If you are interested in bariatric surgery, call us and attend our monthly support group to learn more.