Apple and Almond Butter Breakfast Bowl
Try this tasty bowl for a healthy breakfast full of fiber and protein.
Adapted from Clean Eating Bowls by Kenzie Swanhart
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ + ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- Place a small pot over medium-high heat. Add the apples, maple syrup, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, lemon juice and salt
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. When the fruit is tender and has slightly caramelized, 5-7 minutes, transfer it to a medium bowl and set aside
- In the same pot, add the quinoa, almond milk, and the remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and put the lid on. Once the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, remove the pot from the heat.
- Divide the quinoa between two bowls and top with the fruit, chopped almonds and a splash of almond milk (optional)
Nutrition Facts per serving : 315 calories, 11 grams fat, 165mg sodium, 46 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams fiber, 13 grams sugar (0 grams added), 10 grams protein