Applicants must fulfill the following requirements to be considered for interview at the New Hanover Regional Medical Center Surgical Residency Program:
- USMLE Scores (Step 1 and 2) - pass on first attempt with a score of 210 or higher.
- Grades - Honors or High Pass grade in surgery clerkship preferred.
- Graduation from medical school immediately prior to application for residency.
- IMG's must have a minimum of two (2) years of clinical or research experience in the United States and be proficient with the English language.
- United States citizenship (we do not sponsor visas or accept green cards)
All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Services (ERAS) to be considered for review. Applications received through alternative methods will not be reviewed. The following items must be included:
- ERAS Application
- Personal Statement
- USMLE Scores for Step 1 and Step 2
- Official Medical School Transcript
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Chair of Department letter
- Dean's letter
Notification will be sent to the applicant prior to the interview should the application be incomplete.
We accept applications between September 1st and October 31st. Interviews will be conducted between November 1st and December 15th on Monday and Thursday mornings thus the recommendation to submit applications as early as possible.
Applicants will arrive the evening before the scheduled date to meet with resident staff over dinner. Applicants will meet faculty and post call residents at 0800 the following morning over a continental breakfast. Information regarding the Surgical Residency Program and Southeast North Carolina will be provided to each applicant at that time. Applicants will receive a tour of New Hanover Regional Medical Center and the new Surgical Pavilion and Women's & Children's Hospital upon completion of faculty interviews. All activities should conclude before noon.
This is an exciting time of year for the Residency Program. We look forward to interview day and meeting new graduates interested in learning more about our program.