Our team is available to answer your questions about our services and next steps.
Research Staff Directory
New Hanover Regional Medical Center’s Research Department offers internships for undergraduate and graduate students interested in learning more about how medical research is conducted, reported and used to improve health
- Collect data from medical records
- Interact with physicians
- Develop skills to critically assess medical literature
- Learn pertinent medical statistics
- Conduct original research
We are looking for a self-motivated individual and prefer students or recent graduates in any discipline that involves a considerable amount of coursework in research methodology. This may include a pre-med focus, nursing, clinical research, statistics or related fields. The ideal candidate will be well versed in MS Office, specifically MS Word and MS Excel. Prior work in a professional setting and/or with MS Access is a plus, but not required.
The Research Assistant Internship offers many learning opportunities outlined in the curriculum, including:
- Understanding why and how the local IRB works
- Gaining medical knowledge through literature searches
- Discovering the current state of medical research
- Insight into how practice based research works
- Working alongside physicians and other healthcare professionals
- Optional self-led research project
- Experience using SAS with healthcare data
- Understanding the difficulties associated with “real-life” data
How To Apply
To apply, send the application, your resume/CV, and cover letter to Lynette McFayden. If selected, you will be contacted for an interview. Before beginning the internship, all interns will be required to undergo a background check and drug screening. All internships are unpaid.