Specimen Rejection Policy
The following criteria will be used for specimen rejection:
- Unlabeled, mislabeled or incompletely labeled specimens will be discarded by the laboratory and new collection requested.
- Discrepancy between the patient identification on the test requisition (request) and on the specimen label will cause specimen to be discarded by the laboratory and a new collection requested.
- Specimen(s) deemed unacceptable due to the requirements of test methodology; i.e. hemolysis, lipemia, short samples, wrong tube or wrong specimen type.
- Pre-analytic specimen requirements not met
- Suspected specimen contamination due to result discrepancy
- Pre-analytic handling and transport requirements not met