Internal Medicine Residency Program
We appreciate your interest in what we believe to be an outstanding internal medicine residency. Our goal is to ensure the success of each of our residents in achieving their career goals - hospitalist, primary care or subspecialty. We are a small program where every faculty member will know who you are and what drives you to be an outstanding doctor. Our experienced full-time faculty provide a strong supportive foundation for resident training in a dynamic learning environment.
There are ample opportunities to participate in research assisted by NHRMC’s dedicated research department. We support our residents to present posters and speak at regional, national, and international meetings.
If you have any questions, please contact Donna L. Gallagher, Internal Medicine Residency’s Program Administrator (see Contact Us). We hope you will seriously consider NHRMC when making this very crucial decision. Our program has been training residents since 1972 and growing stronger every year.
Internal Medicine Residency Program Mission Statement
Vision (why we do what we do):To produce leaders of change in healthcare, where provider and patients partner to promote health and wellbeing; to harness the power of science and education to better the lives of those we serve.
Mission (how we do it): High value, hands-on, evidence-based educational experiences with a team who works collaboratively to bring out the excellence that exists in every one of its members and patients.
Requirements for Success (the science of what we do):
• Appropriate Supervision: Graduated responsibility by a diverse team of inspirational leaders who create a supportive learning atmosphere
• Partnerships: Clinical faculty dedicated to the training program
• Diversity: Exposure to a medically and socioeconomically diverse patient population
• Balance: Balanced education and autonomy
Values (values we practice as we pursue our vision):
Novant Health Internal Medicine Residency program aims:
1. Community based close-knit, family like training environment, striving to provide high quality compassionate care to all patients.
2. Provide a diverse education, allowing graduates the ability to pursue the breadth of career options available in Internal Medicine, to include inpatient, outpatient, and sub-specialization
3. Train in a positive environment where education is hands-on and autonomy is appropriately balanced by close support and supervision of full time academic and clinical faculty
4. Provide exposure to a medically and socioeconomically diverse patient population with the academic rigor to ensure preparation for Board Certification and successful independent practice
5. Facilitate clinical and quality improvement research opportunities that are tailored to the needs of the trainees and the community we serve
6. Foster a diverse team of interdisciplinary care providers dedicated to motivating each other to excellence, open dialogue, teamwork and embracing constructive change
Diversity and Inclusion
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our residency program and within NHRMC and Novant Health. Visit the pages below to learn more.
Diversity and Inclusion at Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Diversity and Inclusion at Novant Health
For a day in the life, follow our chiefs on Instagram