Applicants must fulfill the following requirements to be considered for interview at the New Hanover Regional Medical Center Surgical Residency Program:
- USMLE Scores (Step 1 and 2) - pass on first attempt with a score of 215 or higher.
- Grades - Honors or High Pass grade in surgery clerkship preferred.
- Graduation from medical school immediately prior to application for residency.
- IMG's must have a minimum of two (2) years of clinical or research experience in the United States and be proficient with the English language.
- United States citizenship (we do not sponsor visas or accept green cards)
All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Services (ERAS) to be considered for review. Applications received through alternative methods will not be reviewed. The following items must be included:
- ERAS Application
- Personal Statement
- USMLE Scores for Step 1 and Step 2
- Official Medical School Transcript
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Dean's letter
We accept applications between September 1st and October 20th. 7 interview days will be conducted between November and December on Tuesday and Thursday mornings thus the recommendation to submit applications as early as possible.
Applicants will arrive the evening before the scheduled interview to meet with residents over dinner. Applicants will receive a tour of the facility and meet the post call residents at 0800 the following morning over a continental breakfast. Faculty interviews will start at 9am and will conclude by noon. Information regarding the Surgical Residency Program and southeast North Carolina will be provided to each applicant during the interview.
This is an exciting time of year for the Residency Program. We look forward to interview day and meeting new graduates interested in learning more about our program.