Applicants must fulfill the following requirements to be considered for interview at the Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center Surgical Residency Program:
- USMLE Scores (Step 1 and 2) - Pass on first attempt with the Step 2 score being 220 or higher.
- Grades - Honors or High Pass grade in surgery clerkship preferred.
- Graduation from medical school immediately prior to application for residency.
- IMG's must have a minimum of two (2) years of clinical or research experience in the United States and be proficient with the English language.
- United States citizenship (we do not sponsor visas or accept green cards)
All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Services (ERAS) to be considered for review. Applications received through alternative methods will not be reviewed. The following items must be included:
- ERAS Application
- Personal Statement
- USMLE Scores for Step 1 and Step 2
- Official Medical School Transcript
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation in a Surgical Specialty
- Dean's letter
We accept ERAS applications between September 7, 2022 – October 12, 2022. We will begin reviewing applications October 13, 2022
Surgeons operating NHNHRMC General Surgery Residency will be holding 7 Categorical Virtual Interview Days with 7 applicants per day and 1 Preliminary Virtual Interview Day:
Categorical: November 8, 2022 through December 8, 2022.
- The first round of interview offers (49) categorical applicants will be notified starting October 12, 2022.
Prelim: Interviewing starting the week of December 12, 2022.
- All applicants will be notified starting December 1, 2022.
All applicants offered interviews will need to accept them through Thalamus and then you will be promoted to choose an interview date and review program details
This is an exciting time of year for the Residency Program. We look forward to meeting new graduates interested in learning more about our program.