Always know the emergency number for your site:
Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center: 910-667-7999
Novant Health New Hanover Orthopedic Hospital: 910-667-8300
Other locations: 911
All Novant Health facilities are tobacco-free.
What areas are included?
There are no designated tobacco use areas on the campus. This includes our buildings, property, parking lots, company leased/owned vehicles
Who is affected?
- Employees, physicians, students, contracted personnel, volunteers, and vendors
- Visitors in violation should be politely informed of this policy.
Code Red Procedure (Fire)
- Rescue all persons in danger
- Alarm others
- Contain the fire
- Extinguish the fire
How to use a fire extinguisher:
- Pull the pin on the handle
- Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle to discharge the extinguisher
- Sweep from side to side covering the fire with the extinguishing agent
Code Spill Procedure (Hazardous Material)
- Remove anyone that might be in danger
- Avoid any contact with the chemical
- Find the SDS sheet: Call 800.451.8346
- Telephone your emergency number to request help
Active Shooter Response Plan
- Know all the potential exits from your area
- Walk different exits on a regular basis
- Identify secure areas where you could hide, which doors have locks, what you could use to barricade the doors, what you could hide behind in the rooms. If there are windows, can you close blinds or curtains?
- As a last resort and only if your life is in immediate danger, you should try and stop the active shooter
- Know the location of the fire extinguishers - they can be used as weapons
- Identify items that can be thrown at the shooter
Compressed Gas Safety
- Be familiar with the chemical properties and read the SDS before using the product
- Always make sure you have the proper gas before administering to a patient or using it with a piece of equipment
- Use the proper regulators
- Tanks must be stored securely
- Don't place oxygen cylinders below beds, they can break the bed or potentially become missiles
- Make sure the oxygen cylinder is secured properly when moving a patient on portable oxygen. Do not place on patient bed
- Always separate portable cylinders: full and not full (partial/empty)