Corporate compliance involves the prevention, detection and correction of illegal acts, unethical or non-compliant behavior within the organization through education, identification and enforcement of the Novant Health Code of Ethics.
Guidelines for Business Courtesies and Gifts
- Never accept money from patients or families.
- Never accept any advertising items or souvenir of more than nominal value (>$25).
- Beware of any vendor that offers all-expense paid trips or free services, cash or big ticket items in return for purchasing.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is a Federal Law that makes it illegal to violate patient privacy.
- It promotes privacy, confidentiality and security of patient health information (PHI) in all forms- electric, written, oral and any other.
- It reinforces Patients' rights.
- There is a zero tolerance policy of inappropriate access. Detection may occur via random audits, monitoring and direct reports.
- Employees should only access patient information that is needed for job-related reasons.
Disciplinary Actions for HIPAA Violations
Disciplinary Actions which may result:
- Written Warning
- Final Written Warning or Discharge
- No merit increase
- No eligibility for service excellence teams or recognition.
Civil and criminal penalties may also apply and are enforced by the Office of Civil Rights.
How do I report compliance issues?
- Discuss with your coordinator, supervisor/manager, director or VP
- Contact Compliance/Privacy Officer 910.667.5331
- Hotline: 800.348.9847
- Visit www.mycompliancereport.com