Acronyms & Abbreviations
- A= Acknowledge the patient, by their last name if possible
- I= Introduce yourself, your job title, and any other relevant information that may put the patient more at ease.
- D= Duration of procedure. Describe how long the procedure will take, how long they're going to be there, how long they may have to wait for test results, etc.
- E= Explain the tests, any type of pain involved, what happens next, and so on. Connect key words with patient safety and "excellent service."
- T=Thank you. Thank the patient for their time and for choosing our hospital.
Lean: Lean concepts were exemplified by Toyota in the 1930s when Kiichiro Toyoda introduced the Toyota Production System (TPS). Lean methods eliminate unnecessary resources so that we can operate more efficiently.
A3: This term simply represents the size of paper used. However, what is done on that paper is problem solving in a structured approach to resolve known and observed problems.
5S: A method used to provide workplace organization and housekeeping that stands for the following:
ART: Accreditation Readiness Team
CBL: Computer Based Learning
CCU: Cardiac Care Unit
CHA: Carolinas Healthcare
CLC: Children's Learning Center
CVICU: Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit
EAP: Employee Assistance Program
EFC: Employee Fitness Center
EHC: Employee Health Clinic
EMS: Emergency Medical Services
EOC: Environment of Care
EOC: Emergency Operation Center
EPIC: Electric Health Record software
FSA: Flexible Spending Account
HC: Home Care
HIM: Health Information Management
HIPAA: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
HRA: Health Risk Assessment
ICD-10: International Classification of Diseases version 10
LDI: Leadership Development Institute
LEM: Leader Evaluation Manager
LTD: Long Term Disability
MICU: Medical Intensive Care Unit
NEO: New Employee Orientation
NHRMC: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
NL: Net Learning
OCR: Office of Civil Rights
OIG: Office of Inspector General
ORTHO: NHRMC Orthopedic Hospital
PCU: Progressive Care Unit
PDO: Paid Days Off
PG: Physician Group
PHI: Protected Health Information
PICU: Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
PMH: Pender Memorial Hospital
PPE: Personal Protective Equipment
PRN: "pro re nata" Latin meaning "when necessary"
SDS: Safety Data Sheet
SEAHEC: South East Area Health Education Center
SNF: Skilled Nursing Facility
SOE: Standards of Excellence
STICU: Surgical Trauma Intensive Care Unit
The Tower: The main hospital
WOW: Work Only Weekends