Eligibility - Employees & Dependents
Join the Fitness Center
To join the Jack Barto Center for Employee Fitness, enroll through the fitness center page on our intranet, Capslive.
The Jack Barto Center for Employee Fitness is a great benefit we offer our employees and their eligible dependents. We want you to embrace a healthier lifestyle so we can all take better care of our selves and each other.
Become a Fitness Center Member
Joining the Jack Barto Center for Employee Fitness is easy. Just fill out the enrollment form on the Fitness Center department page on CapsLive.
Who Can Join
We invite all employees of New Hanover Regional Medical Center, NHRMC Physician Group and Pender Memorial Hospital and their eligible dependents to join the Jack Barto Center for Employee Fitness. You can join as an individual or sign up for our family plan.
When You Can Join
You can join and start working out with us almost immediately after you start as an employee. Just fill out the enrollment, we'll update your information in the personnel system and you are ready to go. This generally takes just three (3) business days.
- $5 per pay period for single employee membership
- $10 per pay period for employee and eligible dependents (family membership)
We want exercise to be something important to your whole family, so we offer specialty classes and programs for children. But there are some legal restrictions we need to follow.
- Your child must be at least 15 years old to use the facility, classes and equipment.
- Kids who are 13 and 14 can work out with a trainer, take any of our classes with a parent and use the track for running and walking.
- Teens can also take a two-part course that gives them an orientation to some of the equipment and information on safe workouts. Once your teen takes his or her course and passes a test, he or she will be given access to work out on certain equipment without a trainer as long as they follow the exercises given in class. Parents must also remain in the same room/area of the facility when their teen is working out.
- We offer special programs and classes for younger children throughout the year, including Fitastic Kids (once a year). Keep an eye on our class schedule to know what's available.
- We provide drop-in childcare for your children between the ages of 3 months and 12 years old. See the drop-in childcare page for more rules and information.
When you enroll, you are committing to stay with the Employee Fitness Center for 90 days. After that period, you have the option to un-enroll, but we hope you won't. Talk with a member of the benefits team or fill out the form on CapsLive to change your enrollment.
Your fitness center membership, individual or family, will end with your last day of work unless your are a retiring employee age 60 or older with 10 years of service. Retirees who meet eligibility requirements will be given the opportunity to extend their membership benefits.
Why We Can't Open the Fitness Center to Everyone
The fitness center is a great place and we're frequently asked why individuals associated with, but not employed by NHRMC, can't use the center. It's because we must follow guidelines around benefits in accordance with tax law. It is considered a benefit because we charge our employees, spouses and dependents less for this service than is the fair market value of membership. If we opened up membership, we would either have to charge our employees more, or tax them on the difference between what they're paying and the fair market value. We don't want to do that. We want membership to be affordable for all our staff so we can work together to be healthier and keep our medical costs down.