Diabetes and hypertension are major health problems, and they can often lead to serious health complications. Knowing if you have these issues and being aware of the risk factors are steps you can take toward managing your health.
NHRMC offers the Healthy Lifestyles Plan for employees and their family members who have a diagnosis of pre-diabetes, diabetes, or hypertension and are enrolled in one of NHRMC’s medical plans, to help manage their conditions while saving money.
If you were enrolled in the NHRMC or Standard Health Plan and have been diagnosed with diabetes and take diabetic medication or have an HbA1C of 6.5 or greater during your annual Health Risk Assessment, you will be automatically placed in the value-based Healthy Lifestyles Plan based on your HRA results. If you have a covered family member who is diabetic, pre-diabetic, or hypertensive you may request to enroll in the Healthy Lifestyles Plan and have the benefits apply to all covered family members.
If you or any of your covered dependents are electing medical plan coverage for the first time, have a diagnosis of pre-diabetes, diabetes, and hypertension and would like to participate in the value-based Healthy Lifestyles Plan, you will need to elect the NHRMC Health Plan and complete an application or call the Healthy Lifestyles Plan Hotline at 910.667.7777.
Managing an ongoing health condition can be challenging. Your health actions will guide your way to better health. To stay in the Healthy Lifestyles Plan, you will need to follow health actions, like those shown below.
- Lab evaluations: Cholesterol, A1c, kidney function tests
- Professional services: Regular primary care visits to include a foot exam and a retinal exam from an ophthalmologist
- Health actions vary for those with pre-diabetes, diabetes, and hypertension
View the 2017 Health Lifestyles Action Items and use track your progress:
In exchange for meeting your health actions, you will receive these benefits:
- $0 co-pay for diabetes- and hypertension-related visits to your primary care provider and specialist
- $0 co-pay for selected diabetes- and hypertension-related medications and supplies
- Wellness programs to help you manage your condition
- Reminders for essential screenings and exams
- Support from a team of professionals at NHRMC