Employee Self Service
Use remote access to log in to Employee Self Service and review and/or change your benefits information.
As a part of New Hanover Regional Medical Center’s team you have a benefits package that provides support for you and your family as you take care of your health and plan for your future. This section covers benefits for NHRMC and NHRMC Physician Group employees. Pender Memorial Hospital employee benefits are covered separately.
Benefits Open Enrollment 2020:
Oct. 28-Nov. 8, 2019
This is your annual opportunity to make changes to your benefits.
This year, you only need to take action if you:
1. Want to make changes to your benefits, or
2. Want to enroll in Flexible Spending for 2020.
If you do not want to make any changes to your current elections and you are not enrolling in Flexible Spending for 2020. You do not have to take action. Your current elections will roll into 2020.
If you want to enroll in Health Care Flexible Spending or Dependent Care Flexible Spending for 2020, you MUST TAKE ACTION to enroll during Open Enrollment. Your Flexible Spending elections from 2019 WILL NOT roll into 2020.
To changes to your benefits or enroll in flexible Spending for 2020, log onto Lawson Employee Self Service (ESS) between October 28 and November 8. Not sure how to log onto Lawson? Click the button below.
How to Enroll
New and Noteworthy for 2020:
Have questions? The HR Benefits Team is here to help you! Here are some ways to get help during Open Enrollment:
- Stop by a general drop-in session for help with enrolling. Check CapsLive and your huddle board for dates and times.
- The Benefits Team will be rounding in various departments during Open Enrollment to answer your questions and help you enroll.
- Speak with the HR Benefits Team Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. by calling 910.667.6000 or by dropping in to the 3rd Floor of the Business Center.
Who is Eligible and When
Some benefits start right away, others begin after your eligibility waiting period (first of the month after 30 days of employment), effective Nov. 1, 2019. We also offer benefits that vary depending on the number of hours you work. Your eligibility, and the eligibility of the family members you cover, may change over time. You will need to notify your customer service contacts in HR of any changes.
Benefits by FTE
The number of hours you work impacts the types of benefits you are eligible to receive. Benefits by FTE are outlined here.
We know how important your health is so providing a health benefits plan that is robust, focuses on preventative care and is affordable has been a driving mission for us.
We also offer support for your health through special wellness benefits.
We support your commitment to education through a tuition assistance program that offers up to $2,000 a year at an accredited university or college for a field of study related to your current position or another position at NHRMC.
Employees accrue PDO hours (holiday, vacation, personal and sick time) to use for scheduled and unscheduled time off from work. The amount of time is based on your PDO benefit date and hours paid, up to a maximum of 80 hours per pay period. Physician Group policies for Paid Time Off (PTO) or Paid Days Off (PDO) vary by practice. Please see your practice manager for details.
You may donate PDO hours to co-workers who exhaust their own PDO banks while on a leave of absence or who experience a personal tragedy. Solicitation of PDO is prohibited, and you must leave at least 96 hours in your bank after a donation to a co-worker. You may not donate PDO hours to another employee during your resignation notice.
PDO Donation Form
NHRMC offers three PDO sellback periods each year. Any hours accrued greater than 480 will be sold back during the summer PDO sell back period. A balance of 96 hours must be maintained in order to be eligible to sell back PDO hours. You must be employed longer than one year to participate in the PDO sellback. PDOs sold are pro-rated if you have worked at the organization for less than five years in accordance with the following table.
|Length of Service
||Rate of Payment
|< 1 yr
|> / = 1 yr but < 3 yrs
|> / = 3 yrs but < 5 yrs
|> / = 5 yrs
NHRMC offers benefit-eligible employees financial assistance up to $3,000 for adopting a child. This amount is comparable to what NHRMC would spend for employees who give birth using its medical plan, making this an equitable benefit for both biological and adoptive parents. Eligible adoption-related expenses are out-of-pocket expenses not reimbursable under any other program and may include:
- Reasonable and customary licensed public and private agency fees
- Reasonable and customary legal fees and court costs
- Medical expenses of the child prior to adoption not covered by insurance
- Immigration, immunization and translation fees
- Transportation and lodging
NHRMC will reimburse an employee for two adoptions during his or her employment. If an employee and his or her spouse both work for NHRMC, only one employee may use the adoption assistance benefit.
To apply for this benefit, complete the Adoption Assistance Application and submit it to Human Resources-Benefits with the appropriate supporting documentation and receipts. If approved, you will be reimbursed in your paycheck up to $3000 minus FICA and Medicare deductions.
- Bereavement leave and jury duty leave
- "Red Apple" designation for healthy food initiative
- Gift shops featuring discount tickets for local and regional attractions
- Employee Service Award Banquet
- 90-day new employee luncheon
- Benefit Fair and Discount Vendor Fair
- Employee of Excellence
- Employee of the Year
- Leader of Excellence
- Spotlight program
- Fundraising events
- Credit unions and onsite ATM machines
- Onsite dry cleaning pickup and drop off
- Work only Weekends (WOW)
- Employee Benevolent Fund
- Free parking and shuttle service
- Cafeteria discounts and holiday courtesy meals