March is National Nutrition Month, and your Employee Nutrition Team encourages you to eat healthy, skip the fads and instead focus on total body wellness.
Your Wellness Dietitians recommend adhering to the rules below.
12 Total Body Wellness Rules to Live By*
- Set realistic health and wellness goals (don’t try to do too much at once).
- Add something colorful to every meal and snack – this ensures you get enough fruits and veggies, and keeps calories in check, too.
- Eat all the macronutrients. Whole food sources of protein, carbs and healthy fats are important for overall health, satisfaction and weight control.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water instead of sugary drinks. Carry a water bottle with you always.
- Make physical activity a regular part of your day (even outside of your gym workouts). Take the stairs, park farther away, or talk a walk after dinner.
- Factor in plenty of fiber with vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains, seeds, beans and peas.
- Don’t get stuck in a rut. Variety is the key to maintaining a healthy (and enjoyable) diet.
- Sit less and take regular breaks at work. This can keep stress and food cravings down.
- Slow down your eating by taking 20 minutes to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner (it takes 20 minutes to feel fullness).
- Forge ahead. Don’t let a bump in the road of your healthy lifestyle get you down. Keep your goals top of mind and move forward.
- Make time for restful sleep. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Be prepared. Food preparation and meal planning can make or break your success and keep you on track.
Most of all, have fun with healthy eating! Check out our healthy recipes video library here.
Looking for some healthy spring recipes? Try the recipes below (they’re kid-friendly, too!)
“Mindful Shamrock Shake”
*Source: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics