Expansion and Growth at NHRMC
As part of our commitment to expanding services for our community and increasing convenient access for our patients, NHRMC will begin construction on a parking garage and skywalk that will link to the 17th Street campus.
About the Parking Garage and Skywalk
The parking deck, being built next to Walgreen's on 17th Street, will house employee parking, shifting those spots off campus to allow for closer and more convenient parking for our patients and visitors on campus.The covered skywalk, which will allow employees to safely cross over the busy thoroughfare, will be built to withstand hurricane-force winds and will be accessible only to NHRMC employees.
- Parking Facility & Skywalk Design Firm: BMH Architects
- Parking Facility & Skywalk Construction Firm: McKinley Building Corp.
- Project Cost: $18 Million
- Project Size: The 5-story garage will be built on the 1.3-acre lot
- Expected Completion Date: Late 2017
- Number of parking spaces: 720
- Skywalk Clearance: Nearly 22 feet above the roadway (exceeds DOT requirements)
- Garage Clearance: 7 feet, 10 inches for vehicles
- Skywalk Interior Height: 10 feet
NHRMC Orthopedic Hospital Construction
The parking garage and skywalk are being constructed in preparation for the new orthopedic hospital. The orthopedic hospital's move from its current location on Wrightsville Avenue will put the renowned NHRMC Orthopedics team and their patients closer to all of the available resources and comprehensive support offered at NHRMC.
With its expected completion in 2019, the new orthopedic hospital will include:
- 108 rooms
- Three floors
- 134,000 square feet
What to Expect
Patient care and safety are always our top priority, and we will do our best to minimize impact on our patients and visitors. However, in order to accommodate construction, there may be some road closures and delays around the construction areas. Details will be communicated as soon as they become available.