NHRMC Opioid Reduction Efforts
Safely Dispose of Unwanted Medications
NHRMC holds medication disposal events twice a year and is also one of New Hanover County's locations with permanent drop boxes for residents to safely dispose of their unwanted medications.
FIND A DROP BOX
The New Hanover Regional Medical Center’s Opioid Task force was created in July 2017 to address the opioid crisis impacting New Hanover County and southeastern North Carolina. Reporting to the Medical Executive Committee, the team includes physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and information technology specialists.
Task Force Actions
- Created opioid prescribing guidelines that have been adopted throughout the NHRMC network
- Helped add tools within the electronic medical record to help prescribers adhere to state opioid prescribing laws
- Created patient education materials and events to raise awareness in the community
- Gathers data and shares data with healthcare professionals and patients to keep them informed about progress
- Continues to work on education about opioids and finding better ways to treat pain using non-opioid and non-medicine therapies