To encourage the proper disposal of unwanted medications, New Hanover Regional Medical Center is partnering with regional healthcare, law enforcement and other organizations to hold a fall medication disposal event on Saturday, October 24, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Although the spring 2020 event was cancelled due to the pandemic, we are moving forward with a fall event at a reduced number of locations and with precautions in place to limit the spread of COVID-19. Five locations in Wilmington and one in Hampstead are scheduled to participate in the medication disposal event.
All medications are accepted, including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamins or herbal. Syringes and other sharps will be accepted, along with e-cigarette and vaping devices if the batteries have been removed.
All disposal sites will be drive-through events with contactless drop-off. Masks or face coverings are required for those attending events.
Below is a list of locations:
New Hanover County
- NHRMC Medical Mall, 2243 S. 17th St., Wilmington
- NHRMC Atlantic SurgiCenter, 9104 Market St., Wilmington
- New Hanover County Senior Resource Center, 2222 S. College Rd., Wilmington
- UNCW Police Department, 5126 Lionfish Drive, Wilmington
- Cape Fear Community College, Student Parking Lot #2 by Schwartz Center, 701 N. Front St., Wilmington
Note - The CFCC location will be held in conjunction with the New Hanover County "Flu Thru" event.
- Village Pharmacy of Hampstead, Inc., 14057 US-17 #100, Hampstead
For those who cannot attend the event, permanent drop boxes are available in many locations in Southeastern NC for residents to safely dispose of unwanted medications. No needles or biohazard materials are accepted in the drop boxes. To find a location, visit https://www.nhrmc.org/medication-disposal. Due to impacts of COVID-19, we recommend you call ahead prior to visiting a permanent medication disposal location as hours of operation and public visitation may have changed.