Blood management programs like the one at NHRMC are important to patient safety and for reducing unnecessary costs.
A patient blood management program uses a team approach to assess a patient’s blood management needs. The goal of the team is to develop a plan of care that uses pharmaceuticals, technology and techniques to decrease blood loss and to enhance blood cell production. This approach reduces or eliminates the need for a blood transfusion.
- Reduces unnecessary hospital and patient care costs.
- Improves patient safety by minimizing exposure to blood.
- May reduce hospital length of stay and reduces exposure to viruses and other blood-borne diseases.
- May reduce the risk of hospital acquired complications and infections.
- Conserves use of a precious community resource.
To learn more, click here.