Preparing for your Surgery
BEFORE YOUR SURGERY DATE, you will receive a pre-admission screening phone call. You will speak with a nurse and possibly an anesthesiologist. You may be asked about the following:
- Paperwork from your surgeon's office
- Prescription medications, over-the-counter medications and dosages
- Recent lab, heart and lung tests
- Health history
You also will receive a call within three days before your date of surgery, to verify:
- Demographic information
- Maiden names
- Guarantor and responsible party
- Financial obligations, including out-of-pocket expenses
- Authorizations or pre-certification with your insurance provider
Please have all insurance cards handy, along with accurate contact information for your physician.
You may be required to pay a pre-service deposit. Please also ask us about financial options.
If you have not received a call to verify registration and financial arrangements prior to the day before your surgery, please call 910.686.2840.
THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY
- A member of our staff will contact you between 2 and 5 p.m. the day prior to your procedure to inform you of your arrival time
- Eat a light dinner the day before surgery unless instructed otherwise by your physician
- Do not eat or drink anything (including water, candy and chewing gum) after midnight the night before or the morning of your surgery, unless otherwise directed
- If you develop a cold, flu-like symptoms, fever, or other illness before surgery, notify your physician immediately
- Try to relax and get a good night's sleep
- If you were instructed to shower the night before and/or the morning of your surgery with a special soap, please do so. Soap is available through your physician's office, at the Medical Mall, or at NHRMC Atlantic SurgiCenter
- Please make arrangements to spend the day at NHRMC Atlantic SurgiCenter. If the schedule changes, we may try to schedule your procedure for an earlier time, or possibly postpone your procedure should an emergency arise.