How to inspect or request a copy of your Medical Record
Patients, or their personal representative, may inspect or obtain copies of their New Hanover Regional Medical Center medical records or have copies sent to another medical facility by following these instructions:
- New Hanover Regional Medical Center requires an original, complete and properly executed Authorization for Release of Medical Information form before we may allow inspection or provide a copy of a patient's records to anyone, including the patient or his/her representative.
- Provide a copy of photo ID such as valid driver’s license, military ID or state-issued ID.
- In certain cases a patient's physician may also be required to approve a request. An instruction sheet is available to ensure the authorization is completed appropriately.
- To inspect or request a copy of medical records, please print and complete the Authorization for Release of Medical Information form.
- In completing the authorization form, please indicate the dates of treatment for which you are requesting information.
- You will also need to indicate the type of records you need and must specifically initial requests for information regarding AIDS/HIV, Psychiatric Care, or Alcohol/Drug Abuse.
- While many patients request their entire medical record, our experience has shown that the summary information in documents such as Discharge Summaries, Operative Reports, and History & Physicals contain the information that most people are seeking. If you are not sure what information you need from your records, please give us a call at (910) 343-7090 or (910) 343-7089 OR drop by our office.
- If you are requesting Radiology Images, they are not part of your medical record. Your official records contain the reports that interpret those images. The Radiology Film Library phone number is (910) 343-2607.
- Your medical records do not contain Billing Statements, our Patient Financial Services department maintains that information. Patient Financial Services phone number is (910) 343-7050.
Once the Authorization form has been completed, you have three options for submitting it to Medical Records:
Bring the form to:
Medical Records Department
New Hanover Regional Medical Center Business Center
3151 S 17th Street
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, except Holidays
Or mail the form to:
New Hanover Regional Medical Center
PO Box 9000 Wilmington, NC 28402-9000 Attn: Medical Records, Release of Information
Or fax the form to:
You may inspect/view records within the Health Information Management (Medical Records) Department at the medical center. There may be a reproduction charge for creating a copy of your records. Call the Release of Information Office at (910) 343-7090 for information of fee schedules. All fees will be waived if you are requesting your records be sent directly to another medical facility or office.
Please allow 5 to 15 working days for your request to be processed. If you request pick-up, you will be notified when your records are ready. When you come to the Release of Information Office to inspect or pickup your request, please bring a photo ID. If an individual other than the requester is inspecting or picking up the records, then that individual will need an original signed authorization letter from the requester and a photo ID. If you are an authorized legal representative or Administrator of an Estate, you will need to bring with you the appropriate legal documents for the request to be processed.
For further information, please view this document:
Authorization for Release of Medical Information