Robert M. Fales Health Sciences Library
Hours: Monday - Friday; 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Robert M. Fales Health Sciences Library of South East Area Health Education Center (SEAHEC) is a medical library serving all health professionals in New Hanover, Brunswick, Columbus, Duplin and Pender Counties and affiliated health professions students. It is the largest health sciences library within 120 miles.
The library is part of SEAHEC, an education and training non-profit organization. Its vision is to be the primary resource for healthcare education in southeast North Carolina and an innovator of healthcare education in the North Carolina AHEC system.
- Books & AVs-may be checked-out for two (2) weeks with one (1) renewal for an additional two (2) week period
- Literature Searches-available to Health Professionals
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)-Health Professionals may request books or journal articles from another library for a fee.
- Copier/Printers - self-service copying and printing is available for $0.10 per page; Library staff will copy journal articles from our collection for $5.00 per article
- Books-over 4,000 in print; 120 electronic
- Journals-50 in print; over 1,500 electronic
- DVDs & Videos-over 3,000; DVD/VCR players available in library for viewing of material
- Newspapers-national, state and local newspapers available
The Library is open to the public and all library materials are available for use within the library. Anyone may enter the library and read materials. Health professionals in New Hanover, Brunswick, Columbus, Duplin, Pender and portions of Bladen and Onslow Counties may borrow materials, request computer-based literature searches, photocopy services, interlibrary loans and receive classes and orientations.
The Computer Lab is for the use of Health Professionals and Health Sciences Students only.
The Computer Lab is open to all Health Professionals and Health Science Students. Please click here to view our Policy.
- Overdue Fines - $0.50/book per day; $1.00/AV per day
- Journal articles from our collection copied by Staff - $5.00 per article
- ILL - $10.00 (Standard delivery, 5-7 business days); $15.00 (RUSH delivery, 24-48 hours)
- Copier - $0.10 per page
- Printer - $0.10 per page
Our library has a limited number of books and resources written in easy-to-read medical language for the general public. The New Hanover County Public Library (downtown branch) has a much larger collection and a librarian dedicated to helping those who need easy-to-read medical information.