New Hanover Regional Medical Center is proud to be a Red Apple Hospital. The Red Apple Program is part of the NC Prevention Partners' Initiative to promote a healthy food environment. The statewide project aims to help all North Carolina hospitals make healthy foods more available, visible and affordable for employees and visitors.
By ensuring that healthy options are always available and showing the differences between healthy and less healthy options, we aim to allow people to make the best decision for themselves. This makes it easier for employees and visitors to eat healthy.
Because NHRMC prides itself on being a leader, we want to pave the way by making sure we are offering healthier and affordable food. Making the healthiest choice will be the easiest, most affordable decision and the dishes will be prepared using fresh, locally grown ingredients.
To ensure success of our program:
- All healthy options are easily identified with the Red Apple symbol
- The food and beverage options contain clear and easy to find nutritional information, including on vending machines
- Lower costs for healthier foods
- Information and tips for making healthy food choices will be available
- Healthy selections are grouped together, including in vending machines
- Daily "healthy" features available in all retail areas
- Some items are available in half portions
- Web menu available on CapsLive with nutritional information for each item available
- You can create a report of items you plan to choose and have the nutritional information for your entire meal so you can track your totals for the week