Clinical Trials Underway at NHRMC
At the Zimmer Cancer Center, clinical trials are currently ongoing for lung, colon, breast and gynecological cancers, including:
• SWOG 1007 – Short for South West Oncology Group, this clinical trial will help determine which patients with breast cancer lymph node metastasis would be more likely to benefit from hormonal therapy alone without chemotherapy, thereby reducing the use of aggressive and costly treatment in women who are unlikely to benefit from it.
• CALGB 80702 – Short for Cancer and Leukemia Group B’s Clear Colon study, this clinical trial for colon cancer patients will help determine if patients do just as well with less chemotherapy by adding a non-chemotherapy drug to the treatment plan.
• ZCC2010* – an early stage breast cancer study, this clinical trial evaluates cosmetic outcomes in women who undergo radiation following different types of breast surgery.
• CCRO11* – this treatment study evaluates elective low dose radiation for locally advanced head and neck cancer.
* Both are local studies sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI).
Clinical trials at the Zimmer Cancer Center, including those listed above, are open to all new cancer patients. Patients are screened for eligibility based on diagnosis, stage of disease and other protocol criteria by the Zimmer cancer research nurse and by the treating physician.
For more information on clinical trials at the Zimmer Cancer Center, call 910.343.7641.